Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Installing Flash Player 10 64bit

Actually 64bit OS sometimes give a lot trouble, such as driver or plug-in problem, especially Adobe Flash Player and Java Virtual Machine. After I installed 64bit Ubuntu 8.10, everything is fine, I am happy with it, but then I notice that Adobe Flash Player not support 64bit. Damn... can't watch youtube in Firefox anymore. I had tried both automatic and manual install the flash player, but fail. It kept popup an error message. After that I tried some third party flash player plugins, totally BUSTED!

Finally, Adobe release the Flash Player 10 Alpha for 64bit. I quickly download and try to plug it into my Firefox. But fail too! I found a lot howto on the net, the step is simple, but how come kept busted?! (OK.. OK ... I agreed that I am still a noob in Ubuntu :P~ ) Finally, I found one clear, simple, direct, ultimate howto!!!
http://www.myscienceisbetter.info/2008/05/install-adobe-flash-player-10-on-ubuntu-using-nspluginwrapper.html.

*Thanks to Romeo Adrian Cioaba.


I want to highlight one thing first according to the howto:

1. Make sure you don't have any other flash plugin installed on your system:
sudo apt-get remove -y --purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla libflashsupport nspluginwrapper

Yes... the reason I fail because I had installed some third party flash plugins and even though I had removed them using the package manager... somehow, I not sure are they fully removed? The command above is quite complete. It did removed all the xxx and yyy flash plugins.

Next step is to double confirm you don't any other flash plugins.

sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash*

sudo rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*

sud
o rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/*flash*

sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper


Then get the nspluginwrapper. (*Note: Adobe didn't provide the installation files, in stead, it just release a plugin library file. nspluginwrapper is needed to plug the library file into Firefox)

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs nspluginwrapper

Now you can download the 64bit flash plugin from here:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Extract it to your desktop and then copy to the mozilla plugin folder:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Final step. Use the nspluginwrapper to plug it into Firefox. :)

sudo nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/


sud
o ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/

Close and open your Firefox and you can go to youtube now.



Additional information:-

Please take note that some media player has flash plugin bundled with it. I just facing this problem! I installed VLC media player last night, and this morning I found out that my Firefox fail to play flash again.

If this happen, just repeat the whole step again except this:

X sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper

You already installed the nspluginwrapper, so do not remove it and reinstall again!

2 comments:

  1. Good tip! One of these days I want to install Ubuntu 64-bit, too, on an external HDD. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This version of Ubuntu, there is a new administration tools called "Create a USB startup disk". I haven't try it yet. Later buy a new thumb drive to test it. XD

    ReplyDelete